Wednesday, January 13, 2010

MacWhore

Once I tried to e-chat with Netgear tech support and found that no such option existed for real-time help, I caved.  The thought bubbled to the fore: the entire problem with my crappy wi-fi connection at home has been the fault of the router from the beginning.  And now it's past free warranty period, and even the tech support home page basically says, "If you have a Mac computer, go fuck yourself."

And that was that.  I went to the store this morning and came home with an Airport Extreme.  My connection is now very solid and, as far as I can discern, actually a little bit faster than the cable itself plugged directly into the laptop.  Sure, it's another charge on the credit card that I'll have to pay out of my ever-reduced savings, but like I said on Monday, I'm fed up with substandard tech equipment.  I'd rather eat rice and beans while surfing at high speed than eating filet mignon while tinkering with a broken connection.  (And too much filet mignon isn't good for me, anyway.)

I have another post to write that I promised to do, but first I need to tend to some postdoc applications and diss editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment