Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Packing and pop music

Man, I'm being diligent: I've started packing already.  I figured that it would be a good idea to start boxing up my books and getting them out of my office at Ghosttown U., so everything will be in one place for the move.  Remind me to get a full-sized car, whenever I have to replace my little Beetle.  It's a cute car, but it's not much use for hauling.  (And, frankly, a bit of a disappointment on gas mileage.) 

Meanwhile, more pop music!  Those of you who check in on Haphazard Musing's blog may have enjoyed the unstoppable earworm she posted about recently.  In fact, the female vocalist in that song, Kimbra, is herself an up-and-coming singer-songwriter, and her music is pretty different in character from the stuff that Gotye does.  She may be the only young singer I've heard who can sing scat and sing it well.  One good earworm deserves another, so here is one of my favorites from her: the kinda-sorta live recording of her song "Plain gold ring."  I say kinda-sorta because, as you'll notice, Kimbra makes extensive use of recording loops of her own voice for back-up parts, but also hires flesh-and-blood musicians to perform the guitar, bass line, and percussion work – things that are very commonly recorded and looped in pop production – in a single take with her.

And, as you'll hear, she has a fucking phenomenal voice.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe she's not young anymore, but I really loved the female vocalist's scat from Squirrel Nut Zippers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure that my hubby would leave me for this woman. Wow. She's awesome.

    ReplyDelete