Friday, November 19, 2010

Going local, going global

As is my way with beverage consumption, I'm taking the opposite tack of what I did earlier in the day.  I had a brutal late morning of big-box store shopping, and my nerves were hanging by a thread by the time I got home.  I felt the appropriate thing to do was to have a beer.

To understand the implications of this act, you, dear reader, must put several facts together.
Fact #1: All the beer in my apartment is packaged in 500ml cans.
Fact #2: Some of the aforementioned beer is 4% ABV, but some of it is 10%.
Fact #3: I had one of the 10% 500ml cans.

Very little has happened in the hours since that beer was cracked open.  But, since the torpor has worn off, I flipped to the opposite end of the potables spectrum and brewed some coffee.  (Side note: I just found out today how to say "brewed coffee" in RC-ish.  I never missed the phrase before, because most coffee shops around here deal almost exclusively in a single kind of coffee preparation, and such specification is unnecessary.)  So now, since it's a weekend evening and I have absolutely zero desire to work on these miserable job applications, I'm treating myself: I have given myself leave to work on my book manuscript without fretting about the applications coming due at the end of the month.  Yay...procrastination?

So as I puzzle over which bits of my dissertation can be beaten into a new and pleasingly bookish shape, I have both the local (the specifics of my research) and the global (the analytical implications thereof) in mind.  Why, that sounded like a musical cue!  Gogol Bordello, take it away!

2 comments:

  1. I have given myself leave to work on my book manuscript without fretting about the applications coming due at the end of the month.

    This is basically the best explanation of what is wrong with us academics ever. I, also, view writing my dissertation as "time off" at this point.

    I've been inventing new and creative ways to drink the open bottle of Grand Marnier in my house, because I don't want it to go to waste. Yes. That. Tonight it's in apple cider. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ajnabieh: A good friend and bad influence of mine has long extolled the virtues of drinking spiked coffee while working. Surely Grand Marnier would work well for this. I mean, it would be a shame to let perfectly good Grand Marnier go to waste. Waste is sin, and sin is wrong. Be a good person and whip up a Grand Coffee or perhaps an Autumn Mist (GM, tea, lemon juice).

    ReplyDelete