- God forbid I make it through the semester without contracting a head cold. I love lecturing when I can barely breathe.
- Ditto driving the thirty-mile trek from home to campus.
- Especially when the forecast calls for freezing drizzle overnight, thus likely yielding black ice all over the roads tomorrow morning.
- My stuffed-up sinuses and the headache caused thereby also make it extra-special awesome to plan out my final exam reviews, and to prep tomorrow morning's lesson.
- I could feel this cold coming on yesterday, so at least I had time to prepare with groceries. I just cooked up a big pot of chicken soup, with an abstemiously small teaspoon (...maybe a heavy teaspoon) of chili powder for sinus kick. So good.
- The irony of cooking this soup with a stuffed-up nose is that I can't be bothered by the raw onion, but this is the only recipe I know in which the onion goes into the pot pretty much whole. It's a missed opportunity to not tear up while chopping an onion, but then again, maybe it's for the best that this soup doesn't require a lot of knife work.
- I went to a party the other day thrown by a couple who have a daunting number of dietary restrictions between them, and I was flummoxed for what to bring. (The host had suggested I bring something savory.) I'm really low on savory recipes that don't involve a) meat, b) lots of hot chiles, or c) both A and B, and I was worried I'd be reduced to bringing a bag of bread sticks. Luckily, after tooling around the internet for a while, I found an excellent vegan recipe the ingredients for which are easily found in Cornstate. I added my own little touch, and voilà, my biggest crowd-pleaser in years! To wit:
1.5 lb. Brussels sprouts
Good olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Slice the sprouts in half lengthwise. Toss them with a pleasing amount of salt, pepper, and olive oil. Pour them onto a cookie sheet and spread them out in a thin layer. Drizzle a modest amount of mustard oil over them. (NB: DO NOT bathe the sprouts in this stuff!) Roast them in the oven at 400º for about half an hour.
- I'm still so pleased with the reception my Brussels sprouts got that for a minute, I actually forgot to feel kvetchy about my head cold. That minute has now expired.
50 Shades of Tenure Track Employment
1 week ago